From my Etsy Shop...

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It's been way too long...

I've obviously been very slack in updating my blog. Seven months have gone by since my last post and time has just flown on by in the blink of an eye. I've been fairly busy these last few months as business has picked up fairly well for me (off Etsy of course).

During the months of May, June and July I was very busy, trying to get ready for a "show" (if you want to call it that). It was for a Summer Bash that was being held at The Hideaway... a small, local bar that caters to the motorcycle enthusiast. My cousin hooked me up with the owner of the bar for their 3rd Annual Summer Bash (Thanks, Kim!!!). She (Billie) had always wanted to have a jewelry vendor there, and fortunately, my cousin had me. =) It turned out very well and my displays, which I made out of motorcycle parts, were a hit. Mostly what I sold was stainless steel, but a few sterling silver pieces went to good homes.

My handle bar and fender displays came by way of Jack at Clayton Auto Air in Greensboro. Big kisses to Jack. He's such a sweetie! And the muffler and seat were courtesy of BMW in Greensboro. Thanks to Richard and the other guys there for letting me scrounge through all your parts. (I hope I wasn't in the way.) I actually have some more parts from the shop that I haven't done anything with, but I fully intend to make something with them.

The best part of putting all this stuff together was using a dremel tool to cut through the muffler. I went through 4 blades cutting that thing apart and still had to get my son to cut through the center pipe with a hacksaw. I also went through 3 drill bits trying to make holes. *Tap first... a good tap, then drill*. LOL It was all worth it though. I think that and the handlebars are my favorite pieces.

The fender... ahh the fender. LOL Tyler had to use the hacksaw on that too. He and Ted actually took turns cutting it in half (thanks guys). It was tough, and I totally felt bad for them while I was standing there watching. =) I was only able to do a base color on them (working at the last minute), so they're not actually finished yet. I have intentions of doing some more painting on them, but my idea of what I want them to look like has changed. I'll probably end up hunting down another one and reworking it, because I'm not too fond of how they look right now. I don't even think repainting them will change my mind. I actually want to change the shape of it, or at least part of it. I see things in my mind and won't stop until I make it happen.

This little piece (my wire tree) is something I made a year or so ago to display some polymer clay ornaments that Ted and I made. Luckily, it's great for hanging pendants from. =) It really doesn't fit with the theme yet (except for the fact that it's wire), but it will. That's what some of the other motorcycle parts are going towards... a base for my tree. Ted put together a make-shift base out of softballs and cloth. It's not that pretty, but it served it's purpose. The tree is fairly stable, but a bump on the table will send it toppling over.

Here's my whole set up under one little tent. It looks a bit crowded, but it really wasn't too bad behind the tables. I say that, but actually when everyone got there (people I knew), they started hanging out at my area. I loved it, but it did get crowded with 4 chairs back there... especially when it started to rain. Thank goodness the rain only lasted about 10 minutes (due to the overcrowding). We did welcome what rain we got though. It was scorching hot out there, very humid and no breeze at all. And of course, after all the sweating, running makeup and frizzy hair from being out there all day long, a lady from Full Throttle magazine came around to take pictures of us for their magazine. I bet that's gonna be a great picture. LOL

I'm actually going back to do another round at The Hideaway next weekend and am really looking forward to it. I'm diligently working on more weaves (I've had to order more rings... YAY) and will work some more on the displays next week. Derek's loaning me his tables again PLUS an extra tent for all the peeps hanging around (Thanks Derek!!!). I think I'm pretty much good to go. At least I'm alot better of than I was around this time for the last event there.

Here's hoping for another successful event!

... and not so much time passing before I update my blog. *snicker*

1 comment:

TBC said...

Great fixtures you've made, Ikow :-) I esp love the fenders, the colors really make your gorgeous jewelry shine!